Thursday, March 24, 2011

What's your net worth?! A green question....

Tonight's (very late) blog is about worth: self-worth, worthiness, value....whatever you want to label it, we as a society are obsessed with it. At least it seems this way to me lately. As I finish my degree in a couple of days, many pressures seem to be setting in. The pressure to find a job. The pressure to land a job that pays well. The pressure to secure a job that makes years of school and university "worth it". I feel like I have lost grasp of what worth means.....to me.

I think I have always struggled with the idea of worth. Isn't worth like beauty -in the eye of the beholder? Something that may be worthy to me, may have no value or worthiness to my neighbour. Also, how does one measure another person's worth? By how many zeros their bank statement shows? This is what I have been led to believe unfortunately. When I think about it, money is just a means to an end....a way to make processes in the world flow....we might as well use crops or other goods to trade.....but then my question to myself is what is my end? And why have I been led to believe that if I don't make millions and hold a status job, that I am somehow worth less???!!!

This is so false and yet I cannot dispel the annoying construct. In a sense I feel like I have been brainwashed into thinking that if you're not "in the green" you're wasting your life and your time. So so wrong. Life is temporary anyway and who decides what is to be your mission while on this planet? Who decides what and who is worthy? The answer should be 'everyone for him/herself'. Alas, this is my conundrum....do I go for the gold or do I go for the goal?

Something to think about for everyone.... In the mean time, I think for me only a lobotomy will reverse years of false information. Conversely, time usually resolves everything. Therefore, I will take the words of my sister-in-law to heart and just "enjoy the ride" that is life.

xoxo

2 comments: